September 2, 2008

Handling Today's "Right This Second" Culture

So with technology, we all live in the "right this second" culture. In the September issue of ASAE's magazine, Associations Now, Amy Blagriff talks about handling this culture in the A Day in the Life column.

Specifically, she asks the question: How do you handle this "everybody wants it right this second" culture, while at the same time moving forward on projects and programs that your board and members want to do?

As someone who in my early career used to be completely affected by hearing the "ding" of Outlook when a message appeared, I now turn off my sound and Outlook as a whole for much of my days when I am working on specific projects that don't require me to be utilzing e-mail. I have decided to use e-mail right when I get into the office to clean up my box from the night before, as I am preparing for lunch to clean it up from the morning, and for at least a half hour before leaving for the day to clean it up from the afternoon. If it takes longer than that, I stay at work a little longer...

My opinion - I have a job to do just like everyone else, and if someone needs something urgently, someone should give me a call. I have let my boss know that it is important for me to do this so I can get my work done, and he is fine with it. I have also let others know my way of working as they e-mail me and need something.

I LOVE Amy's idea that if an e-mail is going to take longer than 5 minutes to write, she picks up the phone. I plan on using this idea as I move forward since likely, if it takes more than five minutes to write, it is too complicated to put in an e-mail anyway...

Just as an aside, one of the most interesting blog posts I have ever seen relating to e-mail is this one from Seth Godin. He gives 36 ideas on e-mail, and thoughts to consider when writing your e-mails... Very good ideas...

Anyway, that's how I would answer her question... How would you?

2 comments:

Lisa Junker said...

Interesting post, Bruce! I'm so glad you enjoyed Amy Blagriff's Day in the Life story--I thought she had a lot of interesting things to say, and the "right this second" culture comment struck me too.

I'm personally always torn between the desire to respond to e-mails right away and the knowledge that I could literally spend all day, every day on e-mail and never get anything done. Especially when I hear things like "we have a culture that really prioritizes customer service, so we respond to all e-mails and voicemails within 24 hours." I honestly don't think I could meet that goal and keep up with my non-e-mail work. But I'm not sure how best to compromise ...

Bruce Hammond said...

@Lisa - Thanks for thos comment as well!

It has been a struggle for me as well to keep to that "respond within 24 hours" culture. I think I have found a way to do it, but there are always different ways!

Good luck!